Need advice regarding TÜV & E38 wheels

• Hallo M5'ers..

I thought my car had allready passed TÜV testing with the E38 wheels and racetyres, but today i went to the auto-club in Flensburg to pick it up, and i discovered that this is not exactly the case.
    What my car had actually passed was only the "Check if everything is OK for TÜV" test done by the mechanics at the Renault dealer in Flensburg (they run the auto-club where my car is registred).
    They specifically told me that the tyres were OK.. but i guess they forgot to ask the TÜV guys if they would happen to have the same opinion.. and ofcourse they did not.
    While i was there they called a TÜV guy, and got him to show up in no time (Dekra is 200 meter away from the Renault dealer), but after he spoke on the phone to BMW M in Munich, and a few other places, he refused to give his OK to the E38 wheels. (i said to him that it was '95 E34 wheels, and he did belive that, but it did not help).

And now to the point where i need your advice:
    What should i do?
    The easy thing is to simply put on the 17 inch wheels, and get new TÜV with those, only to put the E38's back on right away.. but can this give problems with the police? or wont they know that it is not the original wheels?
    I got pulled over by German police earlier this year, and they did not mention the wheels at all, but do you think this will allways be the case?

Maybe there is another option:
    My contact at the auto-club said that i could also drive to Hannover, and get something he called "Special one-time approval", or something like that..
    Do you know about this? what is in Hannover.. TÜV headquarters?

Or do you have other ideas?

Kons.. what have you done?

PS. Once again i am stuck with garageplates for the N'ring meeting.. the service level at the auto-club is starting to get annoying :rolleyes:

PPS. Luckily it is still one month to the Alps Tour.. this year i want to arrive on time, with no car problems (this will be something new to me) and real licenseplates :)

• Zitat von donati

While i was there they called a TÜV guy, and got him to show up in no time (Dekra is 200 meter away from the Renault dealer), but after he spoke on the phone to BMW M in Munich, and a few other places, he refused to give his OK to the E38 wheels. (i said to him that it was '95 E34 wheels, and he did belive that, but it did not help).

Hmm, were the rims the problem or the tires? You should get the Rims streetlegal with no problems, when you have 245/40-18s on them. Maybe you should ask the RingRacing guys, if they can do anything for you. The problem is, that in those cases the TÜV guy is free to decide if s.th is ok for him or not - so bringing the car to another TÜV often helps.

Zitat

The easy thing is to simply put on the 17 inch wheels, and get new TÜV with those, only to put the E38's back on right away..

That's the No1 idea to get the car streetlegal again!

Zitat

but can this give problems with the police? or wont they know that it is not the original wheels?

It can, but it doesn't have to - anyway it is better to have everything ok: when it comes to an accident, you could get into serious troubles with the wheels not legal.

Zitat

My contact at the auto-club said that i could also drive to Hannover, and get something he called "Special one-time approval", or something like that..

It is called Einzelabnahme, which means this is a bit more expensive as it has to be done without any papers or ABEs, so they do a little more testing (or are at least supposed to) and check if everything is alright - if it is, you'll get the wheels written into your papers and thats it! It is called Einzelabnahme because it won't get cheaper when you bring another car with the same equipment - they'd have to completely test it again.

Zitat

Kons.. what have you done?

I brought a technical drawing where the maxload is written on, additionally I brought some ABEs from different rims in the same size with the same tyre sizes - so my TÜV man decided that this is ok and he'll give me the ok for that.

Zitat

PS. Once again i am stuck with garageplates for the N'ring meeting.. the service level at the auto-club is starting to get annoying :rolleyes:

Bring the danish ones with you!!

Zitat

PPS. Luckily it is still one month to the Alps Tour.. this year i want to arrive on time, with no car problems (this will be something new to me) and real licenseplates :)

Haha! You arriving in time without technical problems - I won't beleive it before I see it! Have you changed your brakefluid already??

Konstantin

• Zitat von Kons

Hmm, were the rims the problem or the tires?

I asked this question, and the mechanics said that both the rims and the tires was a problem, but as far as i understood it, the real problem for the TÜV guy was that no E34's had 265's originally, so he could not approve this.

I also think that 245's could have made a difference, since there are E34's with this size standard.

Zitat

- anyway it is better to have everything ok: when it comes to an accident, you could get into serious troubles with the wheels not legal.

With my ability to attract the attention of every policeofficer who ever comes within visual range, i also think it is better to have everything ok :)
    However, my insurance would still pay for any liability on my part, if in an accident, dont you think?

Zitat

It is called Einzelabnahme, which means this is a bit more expensive as it has to be done without any papers or ABEs, so they do a little more testing (or are at least supposed to) and check if everything is alright - if it is, you'll get the wheels written into your papers and thats it! It is called Einzelabnahme because it won't get cheaper when you bring another car with the same equipment - they'd have to completely test it again.

I will have to think this over a bit more, but right now that sounds to me like the way to go.. but, i dont undertsand why they would like the 265's any better? they dont go by what was originally mounted at all?
    Then what do they look for? would your technical drawings maybe help here?
    Please explain it for newbies (me) :)

Zitat

Bring the danish ones with you!!

I will, they are allready on the car!
    I dont think i will get German ones also this time.

Zitat

Haha! You arriving in time without technical problems - I won't beleive it before I see it! Have you changed your brakefluid already??

´
    Heh..I now have some practice.. one would think that third time around i could finally get everything ready on time. Getting more than 1.5 hours sleep before a full days Alps driving will be nice for a change ;)

New Castrol Dot 4 is in both cars (only 2 years after i bought the fluid).

• Zitat von donati

With my ability to attract the attention of every policeofficer who ever comes within visual range, i also think it is better to have everything ok :)
    However, my insurance would still pay for any liability on my part, if in an accident, dont you think?

They will pay at first, but the'll try to prove that an accident wouldn't have happened if you had the correct wheels mounted, and they'll try to get some of the money back from you.

Zitat

I will have to think this over a bit more, but right now that sounds to me like the way to go.. but, i dont undertsand why they would like the 265's any better? they dont go by what was originally mounted at all?
    Then what do they look for? would your technical drawings maybe help here?
    Please explain it for newbies (me) :)

They will look, if the max load of tires&rims are ok, if anything rubs, if there is enough room between tires and fenders in extreme situations. They'll also check if the readings on the odo are still correct, and they'll do a test drive to determine if the car is safe to drive. Maybe the drawing could help, but I don't think so: They should know that the loads on an e38 rear axle are higher than on an e34 3.6 - I only needed it because my TÜV man wasn't sure if the touring's 1300kg rear load is more than the e38 has.

Zitat

Heh..I now have some practice.. one would think that third time around i could finally get everything ready on time. Getting more than 1.5 hours sleep before a full days Alps driving will be nice for a change ;)

New Castrol Dot 4 is in both cars (only 2 years after i bought the fluid).

We'll see: You never know what problems you experience with your car the day before you want to leave;).

Konstantin

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!