M540i LE - for collectors only - ??

• BMW Motorsport Limited Edition 540i - 6-speed - 70 numbered cars -
    (-for freaks only ? ) :pp:
    -
    Re: M540
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a matter of interest, in addition to the 200 US M-Sport 540i's and the 32 individually numbered Canadian M540i's, there was a limited edition of 70 RHD Motorsport enhanced 540i's sent to Australia. Each of these came with EDCIII, brake upgrades, M interiors (sports seats, illuminated M gear knobs, M stitched steering wheel etc).

The Australian cars were all individually numbered and were the closest thing to an M5 available in Australia after about 1992, when they stopped importing the real thing (I think, when the 3.8 motor was introduced).

Since (apart from these 70 cars) you couldn't buy a manual 540i in Australia, these 70 cars - all of which were 6 speed - represented the only performance option for a 5 series in Australia for 2 or 3 years and are rare as hens teeth and highly sought after by those in the know in Oz.

Looking at the build date of our cars (Mar-Apr 95), I have concluded that our 70 were the first run of Motorsport enhanced vehicles for the 'non-3.8 litre M5 markets'. The US and Canadian cars followed and, in some respects benefited from time. Ours were not fitted with the M5 body kits as were the US and Canadian M540i's. Ours did come better equipped than the US cars in some respects, but this is more a reflection of the fact that all 540i's in Oz came with the works. But there is no doubt that the 32 Canadian cars are the pick of the 1995 Motorsport 540i's.

If anyone is interested, I have a Yahoo group for the Australian cars at:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BMW540iLE/

Cheers

• Nicht ganz, Franz.
    M540i - Canada - 32 Stueck - handgebaut in Garching -
    540iSport - USA - 200 Stueck - gebaut auf dem 5:er Band in Dingolfingen
    -
    in dem Beitrag geht es um 70 x 540i -6-Gang BMW Motorsport, numeriert 01/70, gebaut in April/Maj 1995 fuer -Australien- (also RHD/Rechtslenker) -
    OHNE M-Technik-Aerodynamik-Paket und gebaut VOR den USA + Canada-
    Autos -
    Gruss
    Kalle ///M
    -

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!